Saturday, December 1, 2007

Best of 07 pt. 3-Year of Hip Hop

I understand that these post have been coming fast and we are usually not this regular, so for the record let's not get used to it. 

This was my year of hip hop, never before have I ever listen to as much hip-hop that I loved  to the point where my favourite CDs of this year are hip-hop and I proudly proclaim my love for it.  This year's favourites included the albino from Minneapolis, to the tiger from England.  The Best Hip-Hop CDs of the Year are:


Brother Ali - The Undisputed Truth 



Hands down the best surprise of this year was "The Undisputed Truth". This is Brother Ali's third full-length album, full of politically charged goodness.  


Brother Ali - Truth is


M.I.A. - Kala


One of my favourite live shows of the year this album from the always controversial M.I.A is a little softer than her debut but still the least accessible album of the three but if  you get into it, oh my god is it good.  I also have a minor crush on her after seeing her dance in detroit.


M.I.A - Paper Planes


El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead



The most cameo heavy album of the year El-P took five years to craft this and it regarding the quality I would wait another five.  Worth the wait, his aggressive style paints a bleak picture.


El-P - Smithereens 


-jon

1 comment: