Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I will eat your heart

Death Cab for Cutie return to the mainstage in 2008 with the release of their 6th LP, Narrow Stairs, this early-Spring. Officially their second "major label" record, the Bellingham-bred boys have claimed this record (the entirety of which was recorded and produced by guitarist Chris Walla between Portland and Seattle) is entirely their own crafting, no label input. This is justified by the "outrageous" length of their single, "I Will Possess Your Heart", released today, which stands in at 08:35.

The track itself is very pleasant. A nearly 3.5 minute intro of drum/bass/swells/piano is very reminiscent of a hallucinogenic influenced American Analog Set--especially the vibraphone part that concludes every 4th bar. I picture Gibbard swaying in typical fashion, sporting a long sleeve plaid button-up, rolled past the elbows (coincidentally what I am wearing currently) having freshly bummed a smoke from John Byrd. Andrew Kenny is dressed the same, but with cowboy boots. MDMA, or perhaps simply buddha, has closed his eyes; yet, his metronomic strumming remains constant, and impressively on-time.

Death Cab for Cutie - I Will Possess Your Heart

Ben Gibbard's lyrics still contain repetition of the word love. And heart. And advances. Will this boy ever grow up? Or will he ever find love? I thought he was doing just fine with Sarah.

3 comments:

Norman said...

It's a good song, but I had to find it elsewhere. It wouldn't download for some reason

tom said...

because you're a late bandwagon jumper!

loljokes!

you send it has a limit of 100 downloads, so i bet it had been all used up. i thought your name was normanD?

Norman said...

well, my birth name is norman.
I went through a "kurdt" cobain phase a little while ago. I'm over it.